A) Fill in the blanks in the passage below with the correct
The Atlas Mountains, (1) ………….. span three countries and separate the southern rim of the Mediterranean basin from the Sahara Desert, extend for more than 1,900 kilometres across Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. The northern section of the range is called the Tell Atlas, which receives the most rainfall and has moist forests of cork oak trees. Where there is less rainfall, light dry forests of green oak trees cover the soil. In the southern, desertlike area of the mountain range, (2) ………. the Saharan Atlas, there are only scattered green oak and juniper trees. In spite of severe winters, people still live in the mountains. The thick rim of the Atlas Mountain range rises to form a high sill, which creates a barrier (3) …………… communication. However, the mountain people have their own internal communication system. Villages are linked by paths (4) …………… follow the crest lines of the hills.
1) a) that b) where c) how d) what e) which
2) a) having called b) being called c) to call d) calling e) called
3) a) having hindered b) hinder c) to hinder d) hindering e) hindered
4) a) that b) what c) where d) how e) when
B) Fill in the blanks with phrasal verbs in the box.
|Hold on||Give away||Clear up||Go for||Get at|
1) Doctors want to make sure that whatever is causing the pain is ________________________ before they let Sam start playing football again.
2)Whenever I call a customer service hotline, I have to _____________________ a lot to talk to the operator.
3) The little boy was trying to ____________________ the branch of a tree, but he was too small to do it.
4) Mr. Wonka talked in a plain tone during the interrogation , but his body language _________________________ his nervousness.
5) The workers will ___________________ mass resignation if nothing happens to meet their demand.
C) Match the words with the definitions given
1) punch = ______________ a) to take something quickly
2) grab = _______________ b) young bears
3) flavour =______________ c) to hit (someone or something) hard with your fist
4) cubs = ______________ d) to make a dish more delicious , to add taste
5 greasy = ___________ e) oily
D) 6. 7. 8. 9.10.11. 12. 13.14. sorularda, verilen “ cümleyi uygun şekilde tamamlayan ifadeyi “ bulunuz…
Most big firms have a special research and development department ……….
- A) just when the firm was becoming insolvent
- B) so that they would have more chance than their rivals to make progress
- C) whose main duty had been to improve the quality of the products
- D) which does the planning for future products
- E) that try to produce technology for better but cheaper products
6) ……….. many of the world’s deserts would still be cultivable.
- A) Since the growing world population has put such pressure on the land B) Unless something is done to preserve them
- C) Provided they are well cared for D) Until the beginning of the 20th century
- E) If their fertility hadn’t been destroyed , by over-farming
7) The topic …….. at the moment concerns all the members closely, so we expect all of you to participate In the discussion.
- A) having discussed B) discussing C) to discuss D) being discussed E) to be discussing
8) The training program ……. by all of our new employees will cover the areas of safety, company procedure and filing.
- A) undertaking B) undertook C) having undertaken D) to undertake E) to be undertaken
9) Paul …….. himself for the delay, apologized to everyone ……. in the project.
- A) blamed / involving B) to blame/ to involve C) being blamed/ involve D) blaming/ involved E) blames/ having involved
10) Under British law, if someone ………… of a serious crime pleads innocence, he or she is tried before a jury ………….. of 12 members of the public.
- A) to-accuse / consisted B) being accused / consists C) accused / consisting D) accuses / to be consisted
- E) accusing / having consisted
11) _____________ your refusing to come out with us tonight, we could have had a good time.
- a) But for b) so that c) Although d) As If e) Even if
12) _______ your work meets the required standart during the probationary period, you will be offered a two- year contract
a) While b) Whenever c) Even If d) As far as e) Providing that
13) I was only going away for two months, but my mother cried while seeing me off, ___________she would never see me again.
A) as though B) since C) before D) even if E) despite
14) _________ we leave after midnight, we may arrive earlier because the roads won’t be too crowded.
a) Should b) If only c) Had d) Only If e)Were
E) Match the words with the definitions given
await = ______________ a) fit in to a small place
head for = __________ b) go together with someone
squeeze in =_________ c) go towards a place
accompany = __________ d) red or brown blocks of clay that we built walls with
brick =____________ e) lie ahead of you
F) 14 . 15. sorularda boş bırakılan yere, parçada “ anlam bütünlüğü sağlamak için getirilebilecek cümleyi” ..
15) Miners in South Africa have recently dug up two mysterious metal spheres. Origin unknown , hese spheres are etched with three parallel grooves. The first sphere is composed of a solid bluish metal with flecks of white. ___________ However, the miners are more interested in the age of the rock in which they were found, given it’s as old as 2.8 billion years.
a) Perhaps , spheres are examples of ancient ammunition, which were fired at their their present
b) In addition to that, metals are very hard and cannot be
c) The latter is hollowed out and filled with a spongy white
d) Scientists at NASA were unable to come up with any explanation of which era they were made
e) The two are also so evenly balanced that they seem to have been made in zero
16) During the mid-1800s , it was hard to tell the difference between the real and fake American money, __________
a) however, nearly a third of Amerikan money was counterfeit
b) but the more they produced, the less they profited
c) so the solution was something similar to today’s approach to big problems
d) to overcome this problem seems a lot difficult than we previously thought
e) since the forgers used the same material as the government used at the time
G) 16- 17. sorularda , verilen cümleye “ anlamca en yakın olan “ seçeneği
17) Even If one forgets about the dangers involved, coal-mining can not be a very attractive way of earning a living.
a) It’s the risks that are involved that really make coal-mining such an unattractive form of
b) It’s hard to imagine anyone enjoying working for a living in a coal mine even if it is perfectly safe
c) Work in a coal mine is not the only form of employment that has unpleasant aspects and even
d) Work in a coal mine may still be unpleasant but there are no more risks than in other forms of employment
e) Working in a coal mine must be rather an unpleasant form of employment even when one ignores the
18) If I’d known how much the mechanic was going to charge me at this auto repair shop, I’d have taken the car somewhere else.
a) If only I’d checked the prices of several auto repair shops, I would have found a cheaper
b) W’d better go to another car mechanic, as this auto repair shop is far too expensive
c)The price of the car service was so high that I decided to look for a more reasonably priced auto repair shop.
d) I knew this was an expensive auto repair shop, yet I didn’t look around for a cheaper
e) I didn’ realize just how expensive this auto repair shop was , but If had , I would have gone somewhere
H) Matching the English words with the closest meaning
|Passion||To miss||Evoke||To distribute|
|Plain||Clear, simple||Conceal||To disgorge|
- I) Fill in the blanks with phrasal verbs in the
|Laid off||Fall out||Give off||Go over||Get at|
1) Putting students in to pairs to ___________________ their homework is a simple way to have students do the corrections themselves.
2) Workers who are ________________________ by private companies will be employed by the government.
3) Rooms should be ventilated when burning candles as they ____________________________ harmful fumes likely to cause cancer and asthma.
4) The new laser comb doesn’t help your hair to grow, but it stops its ________________________ to a great extend.
5) In his poems , Shakespeare uses some techniques that make it hard to understand what he is trying to __________________